A few weekends ago, I committed to attending the REI Garage Sale with my boyfriend. This event allows you to purchase slightly (or aggressively) used apparel and equipment at a faction of the cost. We got a late ticket time, so it was slim pickings by noon. I was on the hunt for hiking boots and a puffy down coat. My puffy coat dreams will have to wait, but I did manage to find a pair of Lowa hiking boots for $100! Colin told me that was steal for that brand, especially since they didn’t even appear to be used at all. I swallowed the vomit that spending $100 on hiking boots brought on* and made the purchase.
I also found a pair of Smart Wool long johns for $5. SCORE.
Took these bad boys for a spin around Sloan Lake this morning.
I am one step closer to not dropping loads of dough on hiking and camping equipment.
I also spent the weekend cooking and baking up a storm. I have a giant bag of Made in Nature dried figs that I purchased from Costco. They stopped carrying the dried mango (WHY??! WHYYYYYY!?!), so I thought these would cut it.
Although delicious, they are not, in any way shape or form, the same as dried mangos.
NOTHING is as delicious as these dried mangos.
Except tacos. Always tacos.
I knew I needed to make something with my JUMBO bag of dried figs, so I present to you…
APPLE FIG CRUMBLE
(gluten and dairy free if you wanna be)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease a 9×9 pan with Kerrygold butter (or coconut oil)
- In a blender/food processor mix
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (mine was rock hard so I blended it)
- 2 tablespoons cinammon
- Mix your oat puree with 1/4 cup chopped up cold Kerrygold butter (or dairy free) to create your crumble. I used my hands**, but you could also just add this to your blender/food processor.
- Set aside and cube
- 3 Fugi apples
- 1 cup Made in Nature dried figs
- Mix in 9×9 pan with cinnamon to taste***
- Add oat crumble to the top of your fruit and cinnamon mix.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until crumble is browned just the way you like it.
*DISCLAIMER: I have since learned that these boots retail for almost $250. This makes me feel much better about life.
**DISCLAIMER: Don’t be gross. Please wash your hands.
***DISCLAIMER: I accidentally dumped about 1/4 cup of cinnamon into the pan. I do not recommend you do this, as it is all you will taste in this recipe.